Grade 2 extension & new build
Originally founded in 1842, for the sons of missionaries, the College occupies a single suburban site of 42 acres, in handsome buildings - originally the mansion of Lord Bathurst. The practice has been involved with projects at the school for some 25 years, undertaking a range of major and minor projects across the school site. The main building is Listed Grade II, but the whole site is sensitive in town planning terms due to its location within a residential area. Our work has included a range
of both extension and new build projects which have responded to the changing needs of the school as both numbers and curriculum have expanded. In addition to a range of built projects, we have also undertaken a number of feasibility studies and advised on a masterplan for the site.
Following the cessation of boarding at the school, it was decided to convert the former dormitory block to expand the existing relatively modest musical facilities to create a Music School. The practice undertook a initial feasibility study and then prepared designs which created an integrated Music School by forming a new glazed main entrance to which would link existing music facilities to the north with the old dormitory block to the south. The old building was completely refurbished and converted to create music practice rooms. These facilities provide state of the art acoustics and soundproofing, which were developed with specialist consultant Recording Architecture.