HYLANDS HOUSE, ESSEX

Grade 1   restoration

Hylands House was originally constructed in 1730 but both house and landscape were substantially altered in the early 19th century by Humphrey Repton and the house again in the late 19th century. Family ownership ceased in the mid 20th century and the badly damaged building was later acquired by Chelmsford Borough Council who commenced a lengthy restoration of what has become a treasured and popular local venue for concerts, weddings, events and conferences. The Estate is 270 ha. and the Park hosts major events, including the annual ‘V' Festival.

 

The practice has completed Phases 4-6 of the project which restored badly damaged rooms on the ground and the upper floors.  The most demanding part of the work was in the ornate Banqueting Room. The work included the careful conservation and reinstatement of the plaster ceiling, deep cornice and pilasters; gilding and graining; the recreation of the ornate red marble fireplace; restoration of the original windows, shutters and joinery. The basement presented technical challenges in dealing with the conversion of a saturated structure to form the toilets, cloakrooms and ancillary areas, which were essential to meet the needs of the visiting public.

 

PUBLICATIONS